The Government of The Gambia and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) have developed the Resilience of Organizations for Transformative Smallholder Agriculture (ROOTS) project. The project is funded by IFAD along with the Government of The Gambia and other Development partners. The project will be implemented in six years period from 2020 to 2026. The main components of the ROOTS project are the followings:
- Component 1 (agricultural productivity and climate change adaptation);
- Component 2 (access to market); and
- Component 3 (institutional development, project management and citizen engagement).
Reports to: PROJECT DIRECTOR
Summary: The Capacity Development and Knowledge Management Officer will lead activities related to capacity building, knowledge management and communication. Under the direct supervision of the Project Director, s/he will work closely with the M&E officer, technical officers and regional coordinators.
Duration of Assignment: Up to six years; following successful completion of six-month probationary period; with renewable contract if performance is satisfactory.
Duty Station: Based in PSU Headquarters, with regular visits in the field as required for monitoring, reporting and coordination.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Leads and takes responsibility for development and implementation of the capacity development, knowledge management and communication plan, ensuring internal and external soundness of the plan, quality of trainings provided and taking into account different needs at different levels;
- Works in close collaboration with the M&E team to build synergy between M&E and KMCO
- Oversee the development and operationalization of a coherent knowledge management and communication strategy, including the promotion of project visibility at the local, regional, national and international levels
- Leads knowledge management and development activities, in collaboration with the M&E officer and technical officers;
- Reviews and produces capacity building, knowledge management and communication annual work plans, budgets and reports on it;
- Manage the technical assistance provided by the consultants in capacity building, knowledge management and communication, monitor their performance and ensure the timely delivery of quality results related to project activities, as well as prepare the terms of reference;
- Provides technical hands-on support to regional coordinators and field assistants to enhance the capacity of regional and communities level implementing partners and community-based institutions;
- Provides or contributes to capacity building of staff, implementing partners and community-based institutions;
- Takes responsibility to draft press releases when needed, targeting different groups;
- Develops and takes lead on implementing a project communications strategy;
- Develop and implement capacity building programmes in the areas of communications, knowledge management and case study development for project implementing partners;
- Facilitate documentation and production of project success stories and case studies, policy briefs and any other relevant KM product;
- Takes responsibility to set-up and maintain a project website, within Government guidelines;
- Manage communication with partners (Government, development partners, private sector, civil society, communities at large);
- Support organization of various project exchange visits;
- Keeps records and documents of activities related to capacity building, knowledge management and communication;
- Works closely with the M&E officers to ensure proper, adequate and timely collection, storage and analysis of data;
- Any other duties assigned by the Project director.
Education: M.Sc. in communication, agricultural economics, rural development, education or related fields.
Experience: Minimum 7 years of experience of relevant experiences in capacity building, knowledge development /management and/or communication. Experience from donor-financed project an added advantage. Experience working with the media and different stakeholders, as well as events management.
Skills and knowledge : Language, literature and communication skills ; experience in developing capacity building programme ; demonstrated understanding of knowledge management ; willing to learn and adapt ; good interpersonal communication skills ; computing skills (word, outlook, excel, power-point).
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
- Only applications received through the provided link will be considered.