The Government of The Gambia and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) have developed the Resilience of Organizations for Transformative Smallholder Agriculture (ROOTS) project. The project is funded by IFAD along with the Government of The Gambia and other Development partners. The project will be implemented in six years period from 2020 to 2026. The main components of the ROOTS project are the followings:
- Component 1 (agricultural productivity and climate change adaptation);
- Component 2 (market access); and
- Component 3 (institutional development, project management and citizen engagement).
Reports to: regional coordinator
Summary: Field assistant for sustainable rice production will facilitate, support, monitor and report on project field activities related to the rice production. Under the direct oversight of the Regional coordinator, he/she will ensure timely and efficient implementation and coordination with local partners.
Duration of Assignment: Up to six years; following successful completion of six-month probationary period; with renewable contract if performance is satisfactory.
Duty Station: Based in the Regional Agricultural Directorate covered by the project, with regular visits in the field as required for monitoring, reporting and implementation.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure that ROOTS implementation guidelines are applied in all projects field activities;
- Planning and management of duties assigned by regional coordinator in his technical matter ;
- Be accountable to the regional coordinator for the implementation of all project activities his technical matter;
- Assumes overall responsibility for project activities related to his technical matter in assigned area;
- Implement project work plan based on approval and guidance of regional coordinator;
- Visiting fields to monitor pre-production, production season and marketing activities;
- Collecting soil, tissue and samples from fields for analysis;
- Recording sample data for research;
- Providing assistance with data entry with M&E officer;
- Assisting with research work and other project and field mapping;
- Conducting experiments to identify and resolve problems;
- Ensures proper level of effort provided to insure timely delivery of the project activities;
- Undertake any other duties, within his/her area of competence, as assigned by the regional coordinator.
- Education: Bachelor in Agriculture in the related fields
- Experience: At least two years of relevant experience in agriculture or food security project. Working experience with local NGOs and /or development organization preferred.
- Skills and knowledge: Usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.),Fluency in English, good communication and presentation skills.
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- Only applications received through the provided link will be considered