The Government of The Gambia and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) have developed the Resilience of Organizations for Transformative Smallholder Agriculture (ROOTS) project. The project is funded by IFAD along with the Government of The Gambia and other Development partners. The project will be implemented in six years period from 2020 to 2026. The main components of the ROOTS project are the followings:
- Component 1 (agricultural productivity and climate change adaptation);
- Component 2 (market access); and
- Component 3 (institutional development, project management and citizen engagement).
Reports to: Regional Coordinator
Summary: Field assistant market and value-chains will facilitate, support, monitor and report on projects field activities related to the agriculture products value chain and agri-business. Under the direct oversight of the Regional coordinator, he/she will ensure timely and efficient implementation and coordination with local partners.
Duration of assignment: Up to six years; following successful completion of six-month probationary period; with renewable contract if performance is satisfactory.
Duty station: Based in the Regional agricultural Directorate covered by the project, with regular visits in the field as required for monitoring, reporting and implementation.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Regional Coordinator:
- Implement project work plan based on approval and guidance of regional coordinator in his technical matter;
- Assist producers in production planning and input supply;
- Support farmers in production and harvesting;
- Advising farmers in post-harvest operations such as processing, grading, packaging, transport, storage;
- Advising producers in the marketing, distribution and sale of agricultural products;
- Support farmers in support services, financing (credit), research, information sharing, and policy and institutional environments;
- Ensure that ROOTS implementation guidelines are implemented in all projects field activities;
- Planning and management of duties assigned by regional coordinator in this technical matter;
- Be accountable to the regional coordinator for the implementation of all relevant project activities;
- Assumes overall responsibility for project activities related to his technical matter in assigned area;
- Ensures proper level of effort provided to insure timely delivery of activities in his technical matter;
- Undertake any other duties within his/her area of competence, as assigned by the regional coordinator.
- Education: Bachelor’s in Marketing and strategy, Business Development, agriculture and management or diploma related fields
- Experience: At least one two of relevant experience in agriculture or food security projects. Experience in working with local NGOs and / or development organization preferred.
- Skills and knowledge: Usage of computers and office software package (MS Word, Excel, etc.), Fluency in written English, good communication and presentation skills.
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
- Only applications received through the provided link will be considered.