The Government of The Gambia and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) have developed the Resilience of Organizations for Transformative Smallholder Agriculture (ROOTS) project. The project is funded by IFAD along with the Government of The Gambia and other Development partners. The project will be implemented in six years period from 2020 to 2026. The main components of the ROOTS project are the followings:
- Component 1 (agricultural productivity and climate change adaptation);
- Component 2 (market access); and
- Component 3 (institutional development, project management and citizen engagement).
Reports to: Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture
Summary: The Project Director coordinates and facilitates overall project management and day to day administration of the project support Unit (PSU). She/he provides overall guidance to personnel, experts and partners supporting project implementation. The project Director will promote synergy between the different project components and subcomponents to ensure the delivery of desired results. She/ He has responsibility for ensuring the proper and judicious use of project resources (human, financial and material) for the delivery of targeted results.
Duration of Assignment: Up to six years; following successful completion of six-month probationary period; with renewable contract if performance is satisfactory.
Duty Station: Based in PSU Headquarters, with regular visits in the field as required for monitoring, reporting and implementation.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Supervise and coordinate all the PSU activities;
- Provide technical support to the project team and stakeholders from the ministries involved, as well as to the private sector, on various aspects of the project, taking into account their individual and collective responsibilities to accelerate the achievement of project objectives;
- Ensure the quality of project implementation and the achievement of results by putting in place effective monitoring and evaluation tools;
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual work plan and budget in relation with the regional coordinators and others stakeholders and have it validated by the project steering committee (PSC) and the Ministry before submitting it to IFAD for no objection;
- Coordinate the administrative and financial management of the project in close collaboration with the Finance officer, the regional coordinators and the individuals in charge of the different components in compliance with the Financing Agreement and in accordance with IFAD rules and procedures.
- Develop and maintain project management schedules, procurement plan, knowledge management strategy and other general project management resources,
- Designing and implementing, together with those responsible for the various components and the stakeholders, the timetable for the implementation of the various project activities, in line with the participatory approach adopted;
- Develop and strengthen relations with partners and play an advocacy role in disseminating information about the project;
- Ensure the efficient management of project resources in a transparent way;
- Ensure the establishment of partnership agreements with the various technical services, ongoing programs and projects in a consistent manner with the procurement policies and procedures for goods and services of the government and IFAD;
- Coordinate and monitor the procurement process of project goods and services on the basis of the approved procurement plan;
- Ensure the preparation of project disbursement requests, and monitor IFAD procedures;
- Prepare and submit the quarterly and annual project implementation reports with a focus on results, impacts and lessons learned as well as those of annual audits to MAO, MOFEA and IFAD;
- Facilitate and follows up on capacity building activities for project staff and relevant stakeholders;
- Approves staff recruitment, contract termination and extension;
- Undertake and approves staff performance evaluation;
- Determine staff capacity development needs and oversees the implementation of a staff capacity development plan for effective project implementation;
- Assess the qualifications and pre-qualifications of implementing partners, consultants and contractors who may be selected for the implementation of the project in accordance with the Ministry and IFAD policies and procedures in force;
- Evaluate and ensure the performance and quality of the work carried out by implementing partners, consultants;
- Prepare the meetings of the steering committee and provide the secretariat;
- Ensure the follow-up of the recommendations of the steering committee;
Education: M.Sc. in Rural Development, agronomy, soil and water management, Agricultural, Economics, Sociology, Natural Resource Management other related fields sound knowledge of contemporary issues in the rural economy, agriculture and food security of the Gambia and natural resources management;
Experience: At last 10 years proven experience in managing large, donor-financed project. Experience with coordination, planning, monitoring and evaluation of project.
Skills and knowledge: Proven managerial, administrative and coordination skills; proven interpersonal communication skills; computer literacy would be requisite and good command of spoken and written English; documented writing skills, ability to work independently and in multi-ethnical environments.
- Do not exceed the legal retirement age during the 5 years of the project’s implementation.
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
- Only applications received through the provided link will be considered.