The Government of The Gambia and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) have developed the Resilience of Organizations for Transformative Smallholder Agriculture (ROOTS) project. The project is funded by IFAD along with the Government of The Gambia and other Development partners. The project will be implemented in six years period from 2020 to 2026. The main components of the ROOTS project are the followings:
- Component 1 (agricultural productivity and climate change adaptation);
- Component 2 (market access); and
- Component 3 (institutional development, project management and citizen engagement).
Reports to: Project Director
Duty Station: Based in PSU Headquarters, with frequent visits in the field as required for monitoring, reporting and coordination.
Duration of Assignment: Up to six years; following successful completion of six-month probationary period; with yearly renewable contract based on satisfactory performance.
Summary: The Water Resources /Water Management Engineer will work with the International Technical Assistant (ITA) to ensure efficient delivery of project outputs, quality infrastructure development and capacity building as well as contribute to implementation of Sustainable Land and Water Development subcomponent under the Agriculture Productivity and Adaptation to Climate Change i.e. Component 1. He/ She will report directly to the Project Director and provide overall supervision and guidance to ensure synergy and coherence of project actions under the component.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
The responsibilities of the Irrigation Engineer include:
- Review the construction of all infrastructure to comply with the drawings/design and technical specifications and inform the contractor as soon as possible should these differ from those established in each contract;
- Review the quality of construction materials in use so that they meet the technical specifications and inform the contractor as soon as possible should these differ from those established in each contract;
- Review the progress achieved in work based on the work plan and giving advice to the contractor if any delay is foreseen in order to keep up with the work plan;
- Review the various approvals/certifications of achievements completed;
- In close consultation with the Department of Water Resources and National Environmental Agency, ensure that construction works are carried out according to environmental, ecological and social standards as detailed in the technical specifications;
- Order any adjustment in construction drawings where required so that they are more suitable and with no cost effect.
- Order the contractor immediately to suspend work if he is seen to be performing work which does not correspond to plan or using construction materials not conforming to technical rules or not meeting skilled qualifications or using non-approved sub-contractor/s;
- Assist the Project Director in the overall planning, review, site identification and feasibility studies and detailed design (FS&DD). This includes providing technical supervision, overseeing and routine monitoring of the works of the Delegated Contract Management (DCM) public entity;
- Provide technical advices on project management planning and perform AWPB as it relates to land and infrastructure development;
- Assist International Technical Assistant (ITA) to systematically provide proper reporting templates of interventions, including providing advice on the timely/appropriate and adjustable configuration of management strategy for land and infrastructure development activities as well as control mechanisms for ensuring project deliverables from these activities;
- Advise on risk management strategy including risk identification, assessment, controls and mitigation;
- Assist ITA in making sure that the status of FS&DD or ongoing construction in any region is instantaneously updated by working with the regions and providing support for overseeing the DCM and the project-wide instituted project status tracking and database update system;
- Assist ITA on issues such as conflicts on the delivery of the project works and provide technical advices in resolving them;
- Confirm that project activities on infrastructure and works are in compliance with agreed work plan and budget, procedures and standards;
- Assist ITA organize capacity building trainings in related technical areas to assist the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and Ministry of Forestry and Water Resources (MoFWR) staff in fostering the smooth execution of the relevant activities; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Project Director.
- Education: Master Science in Civil Engineer, Water Resources, Irrigation or Agriculture.
- Experience: 5+ years of experience within the water resources, water management field, working within the design of irrigation, flooding, hydraulic projects.; Required professional experience and knowledge of development projects in a relevant public institution, private sector or in an international organization.
- Skills and knowledge: Experience in CAD, GIS, SCADA or Automation, analytical packages and project management tools would be a bonus.
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- Only applications received through the provided link will be considered